Sunday, September 18, 2011

Scripture only

What is wrong with living scripture only?  Really I would like to know.

I was given the opportunity to preach yesterday at a very small Pentecostal church.  The choice of text was Acts chapter 1.  What an exciting time for the disciples.  Jesus is alive and spending time with his close friends.  The Holy Spirit was the final piece for the disciples' ministry in this world.  These men spent three years with the Son of God doing INTENSE ministry and learning. You would think that would be enough but Jesus told them to wait until the Holy Spirit came.  There must be something to that Holy Spirit.

After the message a man told me that he was not pentecostal he was a baptist.  I told him I was simply a Christian (that really perplexes people here) and followed up that up with I believe in scripture only.  His reply is we need tradition to learn how to be saved.  Is scripture not enough?  I would really like your thoughts. Maybe I am wrong in thinking that the Bible contains sufficient material for salvation.

I don't want people to think like me rather I want to encourage people to read the Bible.  I thought I would include some pictures for your enjoyment.

Hike in the wood behind our house

Construction of a new home.

Kale and his kittens.  Thy have since disappeared 
We are looking for prayers for our community Babadag. Pray for the Holy Spirit to work in this town. Please pray that I will not grow weary and my heart will be soft and not combative.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    There are many things to say about this subject and much more about our country in general. You are right. The scripture is enough, but the people refuse to believe that because of many reasons. The devil succeded to implement in people mind, a mode of think, a mode of action who exclude the bilbe, the scripture. Perhaps we are in apocalyptic times....
    Regarding the Holy Spirit, there are many more things to say and I am too small for speaking about this great subject. The prophets and Jesus Christ had explained more clearly and more beautiful than I ever will be able to explain. But to understand this, you must read the Bible.....Yet, I want to say my personal opinion: If you do not know from experience what it means "Do not quench the Spirit" 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 verse 19, then you should read more bible and pray God.....
    Of course the devil will oppose anyone who tries to awaken the world from spiritual point of view. Do not forget that Jesus Christ was killed. That is why a preacher needs the power of God for this wonderful divine calling. God is merciful. God will find a solution to succeed, even if some people will oppose you. God will help us but we must not lose our faith.

    ReplyDelete