Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Are you a Christian? I don't know...

We have some wonderful neighbors across the street.  They seem to have an endless supply of tomatoes. It is like a red river that starts in their garden and ends up in our kitchen.  Sheena is busy trying to use the tomatoes all up.  The neighbors have a two year old grandson that visits often.  Kale has a friend and they like to play in the sand together.  The neighbors also have a 32 year old son he is looking for work.  He has a college degree in writing java programs for computers.  I don't think that is easy.  Larry is the name I will give to him for this blog. Larry and I speak often and sometimes for a couple of hours. He tells me his opinion on Romania.   He says most people regret getting rid of communism because everyone had a job.  (they must have forgotten they had no food and the government tortured and killed people) He is the first and only Romanian to ask what we are doing here.  I told Larry that we are Christians and we see needs in this county. He thinks this is a great thing.  He asked me what I did in America and I told him about the same thing as we plan on doing here.  He was very interested in my job in America.  Finally I asked him Larry are you a Christian?  His response I don't know...

Larry is like most people in Romania.  Educated but can't find work.  Thirty-two and lives at home. Caught between a generation that wants communism to reign again and a generation that wants expensive homes, clothes, cars and vacations.  Caught between the orthodox church and well I don't know.

Larry went on to speak about the Orthodox church and how is Romania is an Orthodox country.  I think he sees Orthodox as the only option.   Larry doesn't like it though because it is all about tradition and following rules.  We hope to bring a scripture only attitude to church to give a place for people like Larry to develop that faith God has given us.

Please pray for this country and in particular Tulcea County.  

No comments:

Post a Comment